Sunday, April 18, 2010

you're three states away










This weekend made me realize how much I'm going to miss NYC. I'm always so attatched to things on their way out. My neighborhood, the things I see everyday on my way to work or school...

This place turned me from an 18 year old girl who just broke it off with her boyfriend to move to a place where she knew no one while her family was totally falling apart.. into a self sufficient, grateful, 22 year old doctoral student that has proven to myself that I can honestly do anything on my own. I learned how to "make it" in the toughest place in the country to do so and thrived. I feel like I would have failed in any other city for some reason but Nyc taught me how to be small but strong and really love the feeling of being totally invisible.

Thank god I spent this weekend with two amazing girls at my favorite place. Coney Island. Cheese fries, freak shows, icecream, wind, junkyard dogs guarding a ferris wheel, seeing the ocean, being so excited to start the next chapter of my life in a new place and hope it's as good to me as New York has been. I wonder where I'll be after the next 4-5 years, I can see a blurry picture in my head of what it might look like and I like what I see. I like the people I see with me in this mental image.








Favorite song lately.
it just says it all.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nyc taught me how to be small but strong and really love the feeling of being totally invisible.

Did you mean invincible? Or invisible?

I had a really hard time in NYC. I'm glad it ended when it did. It's been two years and I haven't been back since. Other places will win you over just as much if not even more so.

Nikki Ashton said...

I meant invisible. I always thought being invisible was soooo bad but it made me appreciate the thought of abosolutely no one looking at me or even carign if I exist.

Unknown said...

Okay. I was just wondering. That's good you didn't let that get you down since that can be a pretty lonely feeling.

Nikki Ashton said...

I'm not sure if we've met? yeah nyc is like a love it or hate it type of place i think. where di you move?

Unknown said...

I'm friends with Nikki N ult on (I've spaced it that way so this doesn't show up in search engines). I think we met like 6 years ago once. I went to the New School and moved to South Carolina.