Monday, March 29, 2010

The American Nightmare

some thangs





An article from the Seattle Post:

"Consider this: Over the past 30 years, the 32 percent gap between the percentage of low-income students and wealthy students attending college has barely budged, researchers have found.

And at the nation's top 19 schools, only 6 percent of those graduating in 1999 were the first in their family to attend college, according to the new book "Equity and Excellence in American Higher Education."

A University of Washington survey revealed that 11.6 percent of the 2004 freshman class came from families earning less than $25,000 a year, while 37 percent belonged to families making $75,000 or more.

Going to college is not the only answer to poverty, but a four-year degree raises the odds that someone will make the leap to a stable, middle-class life. "

Only 8.6 percent of all of the U.S. graduates from a four-year college were raised below the poverty line. Those statistics are INSANE

I REALLY am interested to find out how many people born in poverty went on to actually earn doctorates too.

probably less than two percent.

As I sit at my school writing this stupid paper about crack cocaine sentencing disparities I can't help but be bogged down by how much the odds are against me. Hi, United States of America, I'm tryign REALLY hard not to perpetuate the cyclical nature of my family pattern of drug use, prison, divorce, and poverty, can you throw me a goddamn bone?

If I don't get approved for my loan without a cosigner, and I have to tell school "hey cya next time when I have money..." I'll lose it. I only can take so much. School was always something I committed to 100% because its garunteed to give back to me if I just work hard enough. Well, I've worked hard enough, now I need all of this to work out.

This almost caused me to have a nervous breakdown so my girlfriend since I was ten came to my house soaking wet from the rain in the middle of the night to hug me.

I'm so mad its hard for me to concentrate on this paper.
Tonight I'm making ravioli stuffed with chicken sausage and sundried tomatoes. I need to do the dishes, I need to sort clothes out that I can sell, I need to take out the trash, I need to prepare my thesis for completion by May 7th.

Thankgod John bought me a North Face shell bc this rain would be hell without it or my rain boots.


She seems so cool, so focused, so quiet, yet her eyes remain fixed upon the horizon.

You think you know all there is to know about her immediately upon meeting her, but everything you think you know is wrong. Passion flows through her like a river of blood.

She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped and you fell. All your tomorrows start here
.

No comments: